The driver for a lawyer told Reuters news agency that the owner of the Tesla Model S Plymid was driving when his car suddenly caught fire. Mark Garagos, owner of Zaragos & Zaragos Company, told the agency that he could not get out of the car initially because its electronic door system failed, forcing the driver to apply force to open it.
The car drove about 35 feet to 40 feet (11 to 12 meters) before it turned into a fire pit in a residential area near the owner’s Pennsylvania home. Geragos said it was a sad and horrible experience. He added that this is a brand new model and they are investigating it. Tesla did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
In April, the company owner said the new battery pack was included in the new Model S sedan and Model X Sport utility car.